Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Basic: How to Use Picnik

Hi, My name is Stephanie Behrend. I am creating this Blog to post my "Peer Computer Application Tutorial" for my PED 266 Class with Cara Sidman. I had to chose an online computer application that I have never used before to create my personal learning network and create a tutorial to show the rest of the class the application that I used. The application I decided on was:









You might ask yourself, why did you chose picnik?

       I choose Picnik because it is an awesome tool for photo editing. It does all the basic fixes, collages and has amazing photo effects, FREE at your disposal! I found this online computer application when trying to find a free photo editing source. When I typed in "free online photo applications" into www.google.com; picnik was one of my options to choose from. The sign up was free, and I began downloading photos in a matter of minutes to begin creating ART



So what exactly is Picnik, and what is it used for?
  
       Picnik is an online photo service, which means anyone can upload photos (after signing in and creating their free account) and edit them to their liking. This application allows any individual to add many different creative adjustments. Picnik is a great tool for creating posters, signs and work on photos for personal, work and school projects. 
       Almost all the editing tools are free, including auto-fix, rotate, crop, resize, exposure, color adjustments, basic sharpening and red-eye fixing, plus many more! There is an EDIT tab and a CREATE tab. 






HOW DO I UPLOAD MY PHOTO??

 


The edit tab lets you do the basics such as:
  1. auto-fix
  2. rotate
  3. crop
  4. resize
  5. exposure
  6. colors
  7. sharpen
  8. red-eye


 The create tab lets you do the basics such as:

  1. featured
  2. effects
  3. text
  4. stickers
  5. touch-up
  6. frames
  7. advanced
  8. seasonal


 

So, how does the editing tools work? Example:


The "LEFT/RIGHT" tool allows you to rotate your photos, to the left, right or even upside down if you click to one side far enough. 

The "STRAIGHTEN" tool is a slider; you can click and drag on the white tab to move it of click on the slider bar where you want the tab to land up, and the tab will jump to that position!

The "FLIP" tool, is very similar to the "left/right". This option completely flips your photo to how you would like it. 

When you are down with the rotate edit selection, you must save or discard your adjustments. Click OK if you want to keep the changes. Click RESET if you want to keep using the rotating tool but want to start over. Click CANCEL button if you want to cancel any of the adjustments you made while using this tool. 


TIP: always click the "auto-fix" button to automatically make any basic fixes to your photo. 

 This tool does just as it says, automatically fixes the; brightness, sharpness and color of the photo as it think it  should look. If you don't like what the computer application automatically does then just click "undo" and use the other tools to get exactly the effect you want!


So you are done going through all the wonderful, different create and edit tools? Now what?


As shown in the picture above, you must click "SAVE & SHARE". When you click this tab, you then click "save photo" to save the file onto your computer files or desktop. It will save your original as well, since all it did was make a copy of it when you uploaded it to the application.  



Crop, edit and rotating your images for interesting backgrounds for projects!!

 "



      Here is a picture of my younger brother Zachary that I took at one of his last high school soccer games. It is a decent picture, thanks to the high-quality camera. 


      But lets say that I wanted to add a little more creativity to this photo to give to my brother as a gift for his senior night. I uploaded this photo onto picnik and went to work. I used the auto-fix button on the edit tab then worked my way over to the create tab. From there I used the black and white effect, the boost effect, the vignette effect, then I added text to really make this picture a one of a kind piece of art. 


Much better, don't you think? I know it is over-dramatic and done with a bunch of special effect, but that is the best thing about picnik. This application lets you get as creative as you would like and as dramatic as you wish. I would recommend this to any individual looking for a photo edit application. 





Picnik also has a RSS feed! This is a family web of feed formats used to publish frequently updated works. (I even added it to my igoogle page!)




No comments:

Post a Comment